OT - How does Gmail decide if a message is spam?

Brian Walters apathyman at lyons-ryan.org
Mon Nov 24 16:24:31 EST 2014

'morning all,

I noticed several people reporting that messages from Marnie were
ending up in their Gmail spam folder.

Does anyone know how Gmail decides if a message is spam?

I have several Gmail accounts for different purposes, all of which are
configured to forward mail to my main email account.  This means I
rarely open Gmail at all, but it also means that if Gmail arbitrarily
decides a message is spam it never gets forwarded and I don't see it.
I discovered by accident that this had happened to an important
message recently.

Is there any way to tell Gmail 'hands off' and don't mark anything as
spam unless I tell it to?

--
Cheers

Brian