OT: Shelfie for Cyclists

knarf knarftheriault at gmail.com
Sat Mar 15 22:13:22 EDT 2014

"Gruppo" is Italian for (wait for it...) "group" (Dario, feel free to correct me). In bike parlance it refers to the component group on a bike: the brakes, gears, cranks, pedals, etc. Most often they're all made by the same manufacturer and bought together in a (wait for it...) group rather than individually.

Buying the components individually would cost a lot more and also they tend to work more smoothly together if bought as a unit.

"Campy" means Campagnolo, the Italian component giant. The other major player is Japan's Shimano and together they probably have 90% of the market.

Frejus, an English company, made the frame. I'm not even sure if they're still in business but they're quite highly regarded.

A Frejus track bike (designed for a velodrome, no brakes or gears) with Campy Pista (means "track" in Italian) components is a very rare and desirable bike.

Cheers,
frank