Time Machine as backup

Igor PDML-StR pdmlstr at komkon.org
Tue Dec 2 23:57:16 EST 2014

Thank you, Godfrey for satisfying my curiousity!

Igor

Godfrey DiGiorgi Tue, 02 Dec 2014 13:00:37 -0800 wrote:

Writing metadata to source files: not automatically but often manually,
for various reasons. Using them with multiple applications is one of the
reasons. The frequent use of temporary files (TIFFs generated in the
source directories in the process of testing ideas) is another.

For best performance, the LR catalog folders are stored on a separate
volume from the original image files, not embedded into a subfolder of the
catalog folder. This makes it easier to subdivide catalogs for specific
projects, each of which might require different renderings.

But the biggest benefit to organizing my backups this way is that the
resulting archive drives make it possible to instantly grab an external
drive, connect it to another machine with LR on it, and resume editing
immediately without having to wait through a lengthy restore process to
obtain access to the files again. I do this often when I'm teaching or
working with a client at their office (not so much nowadays that I've
closed the business down and have my income from other endeavors).

Godfrey