OT: Facepalm

Igor PDML-StR pdmlstr at komkon.org
Tue Dec 2 14:02:43 EST 2014

While I understand the obsurdity of the situation, but I also guess that
it is a general warning statement to satisfy allergen-labelling laws
in various countries.

My guess is if it is not explicitly stated that "it may contain traces of
nuts", it might be assumed that it is not, despite the ingredients list.
Besides, in some countries, peanuts and "nuts" are in different
categories.
See, e.g. here, how it is done for UK:
http://www.nutmums.com/uk-food-allergen-labelling-law/

And, as that article states, in UK, the allergen labelling requirements
are:

If a prepacked food or alcoholic drink contains one of the top 14 food
allergens (or an ingredient made from one of those 14 allergens), this
must be declared on the label, with the allergen either being specified in
the name of the food or clearly marked elsewhere on the label. Alcoholic
drinks which don.t have an ingredients list should be labelled "contains
[insert name of allergen(s)]".

So, however ridiculous the label may sound, don't blame the manufacturers
in this case. Rather, blame the lawyers, especially in the countries with
the law based on precedent.

Cheers,

Igor