Regarding the assessment of raw image technical qualities (i.e. correct exposure, focus, sharpness, etc.)

Ciprian Dorin Craciun ciprian.craciun at gmail.com
Mon Dec 30 12:56:55 EST 2013

On Mon, Dec 30, 2013 at 7:48 PM, Bob W <pdml at web-options.com> wrote:
> Consider the following pictures, for example, which all show a Frenchman riding a bicycle, but which are very different technically. Which one is the best? Why?

    This is a trick question...  :D

> B) http://metmuseum.org/Collections/search-the-collections/286639?rpp=20&pg=1&rndkey=20131214&ao=on&ft=*&where=France&who=Henri+Cartier-Bresson&pos=7#fullscreen

    Because the answer is most likely (B), made by HCB.  :)  (I know
the fable about Flickr group that dismissed this photo as unsharp.)

    However indeed it proves a point:  for some photos "correctness"
doesn't matter, it's all in the moment or "look-and-feel".  (Even I
have a few "failures" that I find better when compared with their
"correct" equivalents.)

    But still, for landscape or macro photography (which seems to be
my main interest), I still find sharpness and correct exposure very
important.

    Ciprian.