To Filter or not to Filter your Lens

Larry Colen lrc at red4est.com
Tue Sep 18 12:25:02 EDT 2012

I tend to use a filter except for when I need every last bit of performance.  For the vast majority of my shots, it won't make any visible difference. I didn't have one on my 16-50, and then I noticed a small scratch on the edge of the front element.  The 80-200 came with a UV filter of the right size, so it's now on the $1500 lens rather than the$150 lens.