OT: High Performance Laptops

Tom C cakaltm at gmail.com
Tue Sep 11 01:25:19 EDT 2012

> From: Doug Franklin <DougF at NutDriver.org>
> On 2012-09-10 18:23, Darren Addy wrote:
>> Not a lot to input here, but I think the most important considerations
>> should be: CPU horsepower (i7), maximum RAM (and I'd load it up,
>> preferably 16GB minimum), and connectivity [...]
>
> I disagree, to a point.  In his shoes, I'd get less CPU, more RAM, and
> faster storage.  Photos have a huge impact on storage, especially if
> you're using Adobe programs (assuming they're still doing the 'we know
> better than the OS how to manage memory' thing).

Even though I've worked in IT for 32 years, I'll be the first to admit
that I don't know it all. Each (I) tend to work in niches of IT and
therefore many areas are outside our (my) realm of specific expertise.
Technology is moving at such a pace, that what one knew 3 years ago
doesn't hold sway today. I work in business applications software
development. Therefore hardware is generally outside my area, though I
understand terminology and concepts.

I'd like an i7 CPU. I can't tell the difference between the various
versions of it. Yeah I see the minor differences in speed and cache,
but in real noticeable terms what does that mean? Is it worth $200 or
$500 for a different version? I suspect not.

More RAM? I think that could make a noticeable difference. 16G vs 24G
vs 32G? I have no idea other than that more could be better but also
possibly overkill.

I haven't researched the mSATA drive stuff that's available. Can
someone explain what that means?

My gut tells me that in addition to CPU, RAM and SSD drives are the
items that will enhance performance as far as speed is concerned. The
slowest component in a system will drag down all other others.

Thanks.

Tom C.