OT: extremely long exposure fireworks photos

Bruce Walker bruce.walker at gmail.com
Mon Sep 10 10:01:13 EDT 2012

Cool! More of these here:

http://www.daveyjphoto.com/tagged/long-exposure

The technique involves pull-focusing. From an Article in The Atlantic,
Dave says:

The way I captured the photos was actually pretty simple… it just
required good timing. Having the camera in Bulb mode (exposure is as
long as I hold down the shutter) was key.

I put the camera out of focus and would start an exposure when I could
see the fireworks going up. Once they exploded, I quickly refocused
the camera.

This created an effect of blobbed/out of focus light that slowly
converges into fine points. Makes a regular explosion look like a deep
sea creature!

On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 3:16 AM, Larry Colen <lrc at red4est.com> wrote:
> I ran across this link and thought it was pretty cool:
>
> http://www.sciencedump.com/content/long-exposure-firework-photos
>
> --
> Larry Colen lrc at red4est.com sent from i4est

-bmw