Not quite your garden variety

Igor Roshchin str at komkon.org
Sat Oct 15 14:58:36 EDT 2011

Thanks to everybody who looked and commented!
(Some individual responses are interspersed below)

Sat Oct 15 03:11:36 EDT 2011
steve harley wrote:

> on 2011-10-13 13:15 Igor Roshchin wrote
> >

> > But they all came from a garden in Urals.
> > .... well, except the last one.
> >
> > http://42graphy.org/galleries/garden-2011/
> >
> > I am not overly happy with 2-3 of them, but I kept them in this
> > gallery nevertheless.
>
> i enjoy looking at how people look at gardens; the berries are
> particularly nice
>

> > Also, I would appreciate if somebody can help me with the name of
> > this flower:
> > http://42graphy.org/galleries/garden-2011/_IR32219.html
>
> i'm sure that's Gaillardia; i've got some of the Colorado native
> Gaillardia
> aristata in my garden, but your photo is probably one of the many
> cultivars of
> Gaillardia grandiflora that are more typical in gardens

Thank you, Steve!

I remember taking photos a similar flower at the LAdy Bird johnson
Wildflower Center in Austing (used for greeting cards, but never posted
them electronically)
Your help with the flower name helped to find it:
http://www.wildflower.org/gallery/search.php?newsearch=true&search_field=Gaillardia

Different varieties of Gaillardia seem to look similarly (e.g. some photos
of Gaillardia aristata and Gaillardia pulchella look practically the
same, - but maybe they were not correctly identified?).

Sat Oct 15 03:20:58 EDT 2011
mike wilson wrote:

> Where in the Urals?  I've been to Ekaterinburg and environs a few times.

Except the last photo, all photos in this gallery were taken in
Chelyabinsk. It is situated in the South Urals, about 200 km / 125
miles south of Ekaterinburg, and has population of about 1.1-1.2
millions.
It is also a large administrative center for Chelyabinsk Oblast' (region).
It's a large cultural, scientific and industrial center.
Its industry played huge role in the WWII.

---- digression ----

I just discovered a curious fact about Chelyabinsk: Anthrax spores were
first identified by Stepan Andrievsky in Chelyabinsk in 1788(!).
He also described the desease in detail and published instructions
(one of his two published books that survived; the other didn't) on
limiting transmission of this disease (1796). To prove that it was the
same disease in animals and humans, he injected himself with the pores
of anthrax taken from a sick animal in 1788 (or 1787). His diary helped
him in the accurate disease description.  He also originated the Russian
name for anthrax: "Sibirskaya iazva" that is translated as "Siberian ulcer"
(sometimes "siberian plaque").

I was not able to find any mentioning of these facts related to
Andrievsky (Andrievskii) and his anthrax-related studies and discoveries
in any English-based googleable sources. In all English sources
the discovery of anthrax etiology is attributed to Robert Koch,
and sometimes to Casimir Davaine & Aloys Pollender.
Actually, as far as I understand, the biggest achievement of R. Koch
with respect to anthrax was the discovery that the class of microbes
called "Bacilli" (including Bacillus anthracis) can exist in two forms:
"regular" and in spores.