Was Wire Welder, Now Gelatin Silver look on Inkjet

Paul Stenquist pnstenquist at comcast.net
Wed Feb 16 06:36:06 EST 2011

Epson Exhibition Fiber paper has the look of a gelatin silver fiber-based paper with slight texture and mild lustre. Some other inkjet papers are very close copies of darkroom papers as well. Of course all modern BW darkroom printing paper is gelatin silver. That's the chemistry not the paper look.

I think Christine is right that the "depth" one feels in looking at a print from a large format neg is partly due to the format. Large format provides incredible detail in the focal range but minimal depth of field, even with relatively wide lenses. That translates to perceived depth.
Paul