OT: Civil Rights Photographer Unmasked as Informer

P. J. Alling webstertwentysix at gmail.com
Mon Sep 20 17:45:45 EDT 2010

  On 9/20/2010 5:09 PM, Adam Maas wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 4:11 PM, P N Stenquist<pnstenquist at comcast.net>  wrote:
>
>>> Oh yes there are!
>>>
>>> Not many, admittedly.
>>> But at the last count there were over 40 in California.
>>> Heck, you've even got two in Illinois - one in Chicago (for the CTA
>>> buses),
>>> and a publicly-accessible one in Des Plaines.
>>>
>> Hydrogen may eventually be the fuel of choice, but it's still on the
>> horizon. I'm working on next-year stuff.
>> Paul
>>
> It won't be for cars anytime soon. A safe storage tank for H2 is a
> bigger weight penalty than a battery.

H2 is a truly hell to handle.  It ex-filtrates through most other
metals, makes Steel, (and other metals), brittle* as is does so, when
stored under pressure. It requires constant refrigeration in liquid form
with the same problems.  It's a medium for transport of energy not a
source.   NASA engineers who've worked with the stuff, will candidly
tell you that Kerosene/O2 rockets are much simpler to engineer with
fewer problems.  I don't see how H2 as an Automobile fuel will ever be
wide spread without major advances in materials science.

* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen_embrittlement

--
"His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy."
      -Woody Allen