OT iMovie to iDvd

Cotty cottycam at mac.com
Fri Jul 30 16:44:48 EDT 2010

On 30/7/10, David J Brooks, discombobulated, unleashed:

>Cotty, if i save as a quicktime movie and burn it to a DVD, will that
>play on a TV set or just a computer. I want it to play on a TV.
>I have time, i won't see the bro law till Ag 14th, so i can still work
>on this.

Basically, when you burn a DVD, there are effectively 2 types of DVD you
can burn.

DVD-Video

and

DVD-ROM

The first type mentioned above, DVD-Video, is the type that you can
place in a DVD player and watch on a TV. Just like if you hired it from
Blockbuster. If you place the same DVD in your computer, then chance are
that you will be able to watch it on there also - but not every computer
has software that allows it to play a DVD-Video. For instance, if you
opened the actual icon of the DVD disc on your desktop, eg double-click
on it (without letting the DVD Player application start up, and look at
the contents of it in a window, you will see two folders inside - one is
called VIDEO_TS and the other is called AUDIO_TS. If you can only see
these two folders in the DVD, then it is a DVD-Video and can play in a
domestic TV DVD player. And of course, most likely on your computer.
(Incidentally in case you were curious VIDEO_TS means 'video title set'
and same for the audio folder. Note that all video and audio used for a
DVD-Video are contained only in the 'VIDEO_TS' folder and nothing should
be in the AUDIO_TS folder - the AUDIO_TS folder is only for audio-only
recordings.)

The second type of DVD, the DVD-ROM is a DVD that is used for storing
files and folders, and typically if you plop a Quicktime movie file on
it, it will run from your computer but not on your domestic DVD player
onto your TV.

If you drag a Quicktime movie file (name.mov) into Toast and let it
burn, it will create a DVD-Video, as long as you ensure that the type of
DVD you are burning is called 'DVD-Video'. Also make sure you select
'Create DVD Menu' if available.

Then you will have a DVD you can watch on your TV from a standard DVD player.

Long-winded, but extra info provided for the curious.

PS Toast is okay at encoding for DVD-Video, but just 'okay'. Note that I
edit in Final Cut, create and build in DVD Studio Pro, and burn in Toast
never faster than 2X speed. But that's for professional level work. If
it's cak, I'll bung it all in Toast ;-)

PPS there's a 3rd type which is effectively a hybrid of the 2 above - a
DVD-Video with DVD-ROM files also. When I pop a DVD into a client it is
one of these, playable on a DVD video player but also containing other
video files so they can pull off (say a WMV) and view on a computer that
may not have DVD-Video software installed - and there are plenty of
office computers like that still around!

HTH

--

Cheers,
  Cotty