Enablement (Sigma EX 24-60/2.8 DG)

Boris Liberman boris71 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 29 00:56:03 EDT 2010

On 7/29/2010 1:40 AM, Larry Colen wrote:

> On Jul 28, 2010, at 2:45 AM, Boris Liberman wrote:
> Other than the 28-75 not being wide enough, how do you like it? I'm
> so broke I can't even afford to fantasize about buying lenses these
> days,  but that's the focal length range that I keep finding myself
> needing, and I will grudgingly admit that a zoom lens can be more
> convenient that swapping through a bag full of primes, especially
> when shooting action.

Suffices it to say, Larry, that Tamron is good enough to hijack a Sigma
thread ;-).

But seriously, you can look it up on my blog:
(http://pentax-ways.blogspot.com/2009/04/on-my-gear.html) -
there are few words about it there.

I recently checked the statistics of my photo collection (33,000+
photos). I have made in excess of 5,000 shots with Tamron. It is more
than any other lens. E.g. each of my 3 FA limiteds has 3,000+ shots
apiece, which is not few but still less than Tammy. Though together
three amigos take over honorably.

Like it says in my blog, I bought from a fellow PDMLess. She probably
cherry picked it because I simply refer to it as a set of excellent
albeit regular f/2.8 primes. Sharp across the whole focal length range
and at all apertures. Slightly punchy warm colors though it renders
beautiful blues too. Sometimes slightly nervous bokeh. But not always.
All around - excellent optic. And mind you, I have no plans of selling
it should Sigma and/or Pentax zoom lenses prove as good.

I have shot with it using *istD, K10D and now K-7 - so that if you wish
I can provide you with RAW samples of any of these cameras. And given
the multitude of shots I made - likely most of the regular shooting
situations are covered - so you can ask for specific focal length,
aperture and motif - I could try to find and send you a sample thereof.

Boris

P.S. Just a few negative points to balance things out at least somewhat:

* Built is good but it is amateur build. Sigma is built in a more
sturdy, more solid way.
* Zoom creeps some. Not a big deal as it has the zoom lock switch, but
still.
* Sample variation - if you decide to buy one, check it well before you
buy - there are reports of some pretty abysmal samples.
* Its stock hood sucks. Flimsy and clumsy.