PESO - Morning fishing

frank theriault knarftheriault at gmail.com
Wed Jul 28 19:22:17 EDT 2010

On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 4:31 PM, P N Stenquist <pnstenquist at comcast.net> wrote:

> On Jul 28, 2010, at 3:08 PM, frank theriault wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Jul 25, 2010 at 6:28 PM, Rick Womer <rwomer1004 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Taken while paddling on an Adirondack lake on July 4 weekend.  I was very
>>> impressed by how well the K7 handled the exposure.
>>>
>>> http://photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=11326995&size=lg
>>>
>>> (K7, FA 24-90)
>>
>> Wish I were there.  Sigh...
>>
>> ;-)
>>
>> Of course I'd rather be taking the photo than killing innocent
>> wildlife
>
> Innocent? Hardly. Fish are the handmaidens of the devil. They can only
> redeem themselves by prostrating themselves before us on a plate.
>
>> <g,d&r>, but it's a wonderful photo of an idyllic scene.
>> And, yeah, the exposure is amazing!
>>
>> cheers,
>> frank
>>
>> ps:  I know there are those who practice catch and release, but were I
>> a fish I'd prefer going through life without a hole (or scar) on the
>> side of my mouth.
>
> Seriously, the mouths of most fish are a bony construction backed by a thin
> film that seems able to take a hook without significant damage. Since men
> have been fishing with hooks for perhaps millions of years that my well be a
> product of evolution. On the other hand, I don't really see the logic of
> catch and release. To me, fishing purely for enjoyment is less acceptable on
> a moral level than fishing for food. However, I have no deep problem either
> way and have done both. Grace and I plan on hitting the one of the local
> lakes again next week. We will probably catch only bluegills, thereby
> helping to thin out an overpopulation.
> Paul

Well, I don't have as big a problem with fishing as with hunting.  I
try ('though I sometimes fail) to be non-judgmental about people's
choice to eat meat (including fish), and let's face it, if we eat it,
we gotta kill it first.  Catching fish on a hook and line seems to me
to be far less cruel than what goes on in most meat factories (and by
that I include feedlots and abattoirs).

So you and Grace go have fun!  I know we'll see photos.

When I used to fish I never caught anything anyway, so it ended up
being a nice day on a sunny lake in a boat.  That's why I prefer
having a camera these days!

;-)

cheers,
frank

--
"Sharpness is a bourgeois concept."  -Henri Cartier-Bresson