weatherproof vs sandproof?

Larry Colen lrc at red4est.com
Tue Jul 27 20:15:05 EDT 2010

On Jul 27, 2010, at 7:52 AM, Christine Nielsen wrote:

> So here's my question:  now what do I do?  Is it possible that tiny
> grains of sand could get in there & gunk up the works?  My camera -
> the k7 - is "weatherproof".  The lens - a sigma 17-70 -- makes no such
> claim.  I've removed the sd card, carefully inspecting and removing
> with a brush any grains of sand around the door.  I figure I should do
> the same with the lens... but are there other steps I should be
> taking?

I had a grain of sand get into my PFA-50/1.4.  The focusing wedged, and like a fool, I pushed it past it.  Despite later getting it cleaned it's still notchy where the teeth got garfed from the grit.

If you see ANY sign of problems with the lens, I'd take it in to be cleaned.  If you can get by without the lens for a while, this might be a good time for a CLA.

--
Larry Colen lrc at red4est.com sent from i4est