PESO: fungus

Ann Sanfedele annsan at nyc.rr.com
Sun Jul 25 02:23:00 EDT 2010

Joe -
 I'm not so sure that is turkey tail  - it isn't curving up much for one
thing...

-  I don't think we have good enough shots,anyway  - (from a mycological
point of view ) - to tell that
and , also, the shelves don't look like quite the right shape to me...

and there is no scale, either..  --  remember, too - David is in New
Zealand...

Dave, the general name for a variety of fungi that have that kinda look
is " shelf fungus"  also called " bracket fungus."

The only way to tell for sure what a specific species of fungus is
involves taking spore prints.   There are only a very
few varieties in the wild that one can be sure of as to what they are
and their edibility without a lot of study.

So,  was this big stuff?

I'm curious... I joined the Mycological society of New York back in the
80's for a brief spell mainly for wanting to be able
to ID the fungi I was photographing - then I learned how difficult it
was... I got pretty interested for a while but most of the
members were mainly into the gourmet aspect of it .    But I digress.

anyway, I challenge Turkey Tail , as we say in the Scrabble biz  :-)

ann