What size "low-res" online proofs?

CheekyGeek cheekygeek at gmail.com
Sat Jul 24 11:10:34 EDT 2010

Years ago, in another life, I was your garden variety portrait and
wedding photographer. Probably less than garden-variety as I shot with
OLD medium format equipment (Mamiyaflex and C33 TLRs that were given
to me when I was 18 by a cousin's wife, whose KC
professional-photographer-father had suddenly passed away with a
massive heart attack.) Anyway, I got burned out on dealing with the
people/stress and turned away from photography as a whole for many
years. My desire was rekindled in the digital age by my storm-chasing
son-in-law and a couple of years ago I got my K200D. That has now been
passed on to another son-in-law who is discovering photography and I'm
shooting with a K-x. All of this is my way of saying that I felt a
little unprepared when out-of-the-blue I was asked to do a family's
outdoor portraits. The occasion of everyone getting together was the
impending deployment of the youngest son to Afghanistan. We did the
session last night and it went well, although it was a very humid high
90's and I felt like a wet rag when it was over.

Which brings me to my question: I am unprepared for the business side
of digital. I planned to put small low-res photos as proofs up on
Flickr (just because it would be easy for all concerned). My question
is: what size/resolution is recommended for "low-res"? Alternative
methods of work (to Flickr or any part) are also welcome and
appreciated.

It is doubtful that I will be doing this much, as I really don't enjoy
it terribly, but I realize the importance of charging or word will get
around and everyone will be pounding at your door for the free loaves
and fishes.
: )

Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom!

Darren Addy
Kearney, Nebraska

--
Nothing is sure, except Death and Pentaxes.