OT - Anyone got opinions on the Olympus Pen E-PL1?

John Francis johnf at panix.com
Fri Jul 23 18:56:36 EDT 2010

On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 01:46:22PM -0500, Charles Robinson wrote:
> On Jul 23, 2010, at 10:06, Godfrey DiGiorgi wrote:
> >
> > When changing lenses, I tend to hold the body with my left hand and
> > depress the lens release button, while handling the lens with my right
> > hand. Grab body, grab lens, press with index finger, turn with right
> > hand and drop lens into slot in bag, grab next lens, insert and turn
> > to click.
> >

> I hold the camera in my RIGHT hand, with the lens facing away.  Pretty much the same grip I use to shoot with.  Camera is still facing whatever the subject is (which, in my high-school days, was usually a stage with rock musicians on it).
>
> Ring finger of the right hand reaches in to press the release button.
>
> Left hand twists the lens out of the mount.  Left hand drops the lens into whatever bag or pocket I have handy...
>
>  -Charles

That's pretty much how I do it, too.  It works pretty well if
I'm switching big, heavy lenses around; the camera is supported
by the neck strap, and I've got my left hand holding the lens.

Of course I'm left-handed, so what is convenient for me might
not be quite as convenient for the rest of the world.

Guess how much I care - I have to suffer enough living in a right-
handed world; it's good karma if some things work better for me.