OT - Anyone got opinions on the Olympus Pen E-PL1?

Dario Bonazza dario.bonazza at virgilio.it
Fri Jul 23 05:36:55 EDT 2010

Godfrey DiGiorgi wrote:

> I guess we work rather differently. I almost never zoom a lens while I
> look through the viewfinder ... I pick what focal length I want to use
> and then pull the lens up to my eye.

Ok, so you use your zooms like a set of primes to choose from. In that case,
I understand the zoom ring turning has no relevance.

> That's funny ... I shot with Nikon gear for 30+ years.
> Pentax/Canon/Olympus etc all felt backwards to me on the lens mount
> until relatively recently. the location of the lens release button on
> the Pentax was always an awkward thing for me, I'm used to it being on
> the opposite side of the lens.
:-)

Of course, it mainly depends on what system you are accustomed to. This
said, I believe the ideal lens release button must be comfortable to reach
with the left hand, while keeping the lens with your right hand (for
right-handed people). So the position of Pentax release button is better if
you change the lens while looking at the front of your camera (turned toward
you). That was the way I worked for years with cameras such as the MX and
the ME Super. With cameras having a big grip like those in fashion today, I
tend to change lenses from above, with the lens pointing forward and the
camera back resting on my belly. In that case, a lens release button placed
like Canon and Olympus is better. Wherever the lens release is, I find no
big problem.

Dario