Lenses again, again

Adam Maas adam at mawz.ca
Thu Jul 22 18:55:49 EDT 2010

The 70-210/4 if it's under $100, otherwise a used SMC-DA 50-200 f4-5.6
is a better choice.

I've owned the M 200/4 (actually the XR Rikenon, which is optically
identical and physically almost identical as well, as far as I can
tell Pentax made the lens for Ricoh, the only way to tell the
difference between it and the SMC-M version is by the lettering or the
DoF marking cutout, which differs slightly), the A 70-210/4 and the DA
50-200. The latter is optically the best of the three, although the
difference is small and all are good, its the smallest, the best
handling and offers AF. The only reason not to buy it is if film use
of the lens is important or you absolutely must have f4 at 200mm.

A DA 50-200 should run a little over $100 on eBay. Payed $150CDN for mine.

-Adam

On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 6:40 PM, Eric Weir <eeweir at bellsouth.net> wrote:

> I've won an SMC A 28mm f2.8 on eBay for $90. Other sellers were asking a little to a lot more.
>
> I'm also thinking about a telephoto lens. If it was between an SMC A 70-210mm F4 Macro  and an SMC M 200mm f4, both about the same price. Assuming a limited budget, and limited set of lenses already in hand, what would you choose? [My camera's a *ist DS.]

> Eric Weir
> Decatur, GA  USA
> eeweir at bellsouth.net

M. Adam Maas