OT - Anyone got opinions on the Olympus Pen E-PL1?

Godfrey DiGiorgi gdigiorgi at gmail.com
Wed Jul 21 16:09:03 EDT 2010

On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 10:20 AM, Chris Mitchell
<chris.mitchell at which.net> wrote:
> ... [G2] ... - built in EVF (higher resolution than the addon ones) ...

Just for accuracy:

The G1, GH1 and G2 all have the same built-in EVF module with the same specs.
The GF1 is capable of using a Panasonic EVF clip-on accessory finder.
The Olympus E-P2 and E-PL1 are both capable of using the same Olympus
EVF accessory finder.

The Olympus EVF accessory has approximately the same resolution as the
Panasonic G1/G2/GH1 built-in EVF module, but it is a different
technology. The Olympus EVF optical system results in slightly lower
magnification than Panasonic opted for the built-in EVF. Both are
quite good with slightly different imaging characteristics. Some
people prefer one over the other. To my eye, they are much of
sameness, just a slightly different look and feel.

The Panasonic GF1 accessory is a lower resolution, slower refresh
device. It is still useful, but does not have the "near optical"
clarity and smoothness in operation of either the higher end EVFs
built-into the Panasonic G1/G2/GH1 or the Olympus accessory EVF.

The G2 is a good incremental update of the G1 body, I spent some time
working with it and the E-PL1 (both belonging to friends of mine) a
few weeks back. Aside from the much talked about touch screen control
(which is remarkably useful) and video features, for those like me who
use Micro-FourThirds bodies as a complement to FourThirds SLR system,
the G2 is capable of providing auto-focus with almost all Olympus and
Panasonic FourThirds SLR lenses.

The only glitch for me is that the G2 does not support using the
Olympus EC14 teleconverter at all, which means I still can't use the
35 Macro+EC14 combination for 1.4:1 macro magnification or the 50
Macro+EC14 for a useful 70mm f/2.8 focal length lens. If Panasonic's
next models out still don't support the EC14, I'll likely buy an E-P2
body + EVF as this teleconverter with my current Olympus/Panasonic SLR
lens kit is an essential piece that I depend upon. I have an
alternative lens in this focal length and speed, but as good as it is
it is not up to the quality of the Olympus ZD lens combination. If
Panasonic releases a higher end body with weather sealing and this
capability, it will pretty much obviate my need for the SLR bodies
completely.
--
Godfrey
  godfreydigiorgi.posterous.com