Manually focusing on the wrong "sharp edge"?

Larry Colen lrc at red4est.com
Wed Jul 21 13:13:11 EDT 2010

On Jul 21, 2010, at 4:54 AM, Boris Liberman wrote:

> On 7/19/2010 10:24 PM, Larry Colen wrote:
>> I'm curious if other people have this problem when manually focusing,
>> and what they do to fix it.
>
> Larry, unlike others in this thread, I use Katz Eye screen with focusing aids (split screen, etc). If opportunity presents itself I might try the KE screen without any aids, but stock screen of Pentax cameras, my eyes and A 50/1.2 don't work together at all.

I found that the stock screens did not work at all well for me for manual focusing, and that the katzeye screens really help.  I think that the stock screens are optimized for autofocus.  Unfortunately the Pentax autofocus system seems to be optimized for manual focus.

Autofocus on the K-x is especially troublesome in this situation because without the light up dots, I can't tell what it's focusing on. That and the fact that in the light I need it, by the time the camera focuses, whatever I wanted to take a picture of is 3 seconds in the past.

There is an aspect of the split screen that it allows your eye to focus on what is in the center of the screen, no matter how out of focus it is.