Takumar vs Super Takumar ??

CheekyGeek cheekygeek at gmail.com
Wed Jul 21 12:39:09 EDT 2010

Frankly, I would not worry much about the slight differences between
them. They are all superb fun. If you find one reasonably priced BUY

Take for example the 50mm f1.4. I learned on this list just a few days
ago that there are two versions of the Super Takumar, an earlier 8
element design and a later 7. The 7 element design continued up to the
last SMC Takumar and only the coatings changed. I suppose the
conventional wisdom would be that the coatings only got better over
time, but some people actually desire the earliest model for
portraiture BECAUSE it is a bit softer wide open.

There is nothing like the feeling of the old Taks (any of them) and I
especially appreciate that they are designed to NOT ROLL OFF your
table top.

Darren Addy
Kearney, NE