Regarding Bill Atkinson...

Godfrey DiGiorgi gdigiorgi at gmail.com
Tue Jul 20 17:06:25 EDT 2010

Bill's been very active in Photography for a long time, since he
retired from Apple 19 or 20 years ago quite possibly. He has been
involved with color inkjet printing for a good while (IIRC, most of
the Epson professional printer color calibration profiles (like the
7600, 7800, etc) are his handiwork).

MacPaint started out as being his testing rig to exercise the
QuickDraw graphics library routines that he created (originally for
the Lisa, then translated and moved to Macintosh), and everyone liked
it so much they turned it into one of the original applications
distributed with every Macintosh. Amazing what could be done with
simple one-bit graphics, eh?

Bill's photography shows the same attention to detail and
thoughtfulness that his programming did. I used to run into him at
Calypso Imaging in Santa Clara from time to time, until Calypso moved
to Santa Cruz and then later closed its doors. We were both at Apple
at the same time for a brief moment, but he was on the way out as I
entered the company.

On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 10:52 AM, CheekyGeek <cheekygeek at gmail.com> wrote:
> A news story today reminded me of one of my favorite programmers: Bill
> Atkinson who wrote (entirely) the original MacPaint program and was
> also responsible for the revolutionary Hypercard program/paradigm.
> Doing a bit of Googling, I discovered that he has become a pretty darn
> good nature photographer. Thought I'd share with the class:
>
> Image collections: http://www.billatkinson.com/CatalogIndex.html
> About the artist: http://www.billatkinson.com/aboutTheArtist.html
>
> Darren Addy
> Kearney, NE
> --
> Nothing is sure, except Death and Pentaxes.

Godfrey
  godfreydigiorgi.posterous.com