Manually focusing on the wrong "sharp edge"?

P N Stenquist pnstenquist at comcast.net
Mon Jul 19 16:20:31 EDT 2010

On Jul 19, 2010, at 3:24 PM, Larry Colen wrote:

> I was photographing a friend playing in a small club in Capitola the
> other night. When I reviewed my photos, I found that an awful lot of
> them were focused on sharp edges in front of the musician:
> The tip jar, drum kit, microphone etc.
>
> I understand how this happens with autofocus. The camera is too
> stupid to know what to focus on and focuses on the sharp edge.  What
> I don't understand is why this happens on manual focus. *I* should
> know better.
>
> One challenge that I have in low light is actually seeing the line
> of the split prism to try and line that up on the musician.
> Especially musicians that tend to move around a lot.  As such, I may
> rely a lot more on the microprism ring, and wonder if I just focus
> until I see whatever is in that ring come into focus, and not notice
> that it's not actually the subject that I'm trying to photograph.
> More a case of my brain saying "something is sharp, press the
> shutter".
>
> I'm curious if other people have this problem when manually
> focusing, and what they do to fix it.

I simply use a plain matte screen and pick the spot on which I want to
focus -- frequently an eye. I find that split prisms are a distraction
for people pics. On my Leica rangefinder, I'm forced to align split
images, but I still target my spot, and judge the alignment as best I
can. Targeting the point of focus is the most important step.
Paul