More Peso's Plowing demo

Eric Weir eeweir at bellsouth.net
Sun Jul 18 19:21:46 EDT 2010

On Jul 18, 2010, at 3:53 PM, eckinator wrote:

> is there too much supply, too little demand, too much price pressure
> or what is the reason for this?

Farming in this country, and I assume in much of the rest of the world, e.g., Brazil, Canada, Australia, is a capital intensive business. My grandfather started farming with two mules and a collection of used horse-drawn equipment. He was able to get started in farming off the income he earned as a hired hand.

This is is impossible today. Even to plant a crop, farmers have to borrow money from the bank, lots of it, for seed, fertilizer, and fuel, not to speak of the huge initial investment in tractors, implements, harvesters, and on-form drying and storage equipment. You have to farm a lot of acres to make such investments possible.

Eric Weir
Decatur, GA  USA
eeweir at bellsouth.net