On pun and fun

John Francis johnf at panix.com
Sun Jul 18 16:28:46 EDT 2010

On Sun, Jul 18, 2010 at 11:15:26AM +0300, Boris Liberman wrote:
> There is an English word - fun. And then there is a word _fun_ny. Now,
> there is another English word - pun. Am I right that _pun_ny is not a
> legal word?

There's no such thing as "legal" in English (except for schoolroom exams).
But, at present, _pun_ny is not a word that is in current everyday usage.
But rest assured that if you used the word everyone would understand just
what you meant.

There are traps, of course.  "Bun" is a word, and so is "bunny". But it
doesn't actually mean what you might logically expect. But who ever said
English was logical?