GESO - Keeping Close Watch

Brian Walters supera1000 at fastmail.fm
Sat Jul 17 20:12:49 EDT 2010

On Sat, 17 Jul 2010 15:11 -0400, "frank theriault"
<knarftheriault at gmail.com> wrote:
> Here's one from my nature walk this morning.  Not much exotic in the
> fauna category, but it's always fun to watch a duck and her ducklings
> toodling about a pond:
>
> http://knarfdummyblog.blogspot.com/2010/07/keeping-close-watch.html
>
> Actually I wonder if they're all hers:  I counted as many as eight
> ducklings in one of the frames.  Could she have "adopted" some
> orphans?  Maybe she's babysitting whilst a friend "sleeps on off"?

Very cute.

They probably are all hers.  Some of the wood ducks around here will
regularly produce up to a dozen (sometimes more) ducklings.  Presumably
quantity allows for the inevitable losses to foxes, hawks, reptiles,
cats etc.

Cheers

Brian

Brian Walters