PESO: Lake Edith, Jasper National Park

Brian Walters supera1000 at fastmail.fm
Fri Jul 16 16:38:56 EDT 2010

On Fri, 16 Jul 2010 12:17 -0600, "Michael Hamilton" <mhpdml at gmail.com>
wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 9:07 AM, Ann Sanfedele <annsan at nyc.rr.com> wrote:
> > Michael Hamilton wrote:
> >
> >> http://www.michaelhamilton.ca/images/MH100518.jpg
> >>
> >> This is one of the few 'serious' photographic attempts that I've made
> >> in a while. It's inspired by those photos that are often found in
> >> mountain resort lodges, such as the Jasper Park Lodge where I was
> >> staying.  This is my favourite photograph to take, and I want to get
> >> better at it.
> >>
> >> What do you think?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Michael Hamilton
> >>

> > Could we compare it to the unphotoshopped version?
>
> Okay, here are a couple more to compare:
>
> http://www.michaelhamilton.ca/images/MHlakeedith2.jpg (better sky
> colour, less sepia, adjusted horizon angle)
> http://www.michaelhamilton.ca/images/MHlakeedithorig.jpg (original,
> slight boost in blues, sharpening, etc)
>
> Thanks for your suggestions and comments so far! I've made a few
> improvements that I like already.

Well, I think the original is preferable. There's some detail in the
treeline whereas in the other versions, the treeline is pretty much a
dark, elongated blob.

I'm not all that keen on sepia so I may be a bit prejudiced in
commenting, but if you like that sort of treatment, trying to bring out
a bit more detail in the sky of your first post would improve it, I
think.

Cheers

Brian

Brian Walters