Spanish team has done it!

David Mann dave at multisport.net.nz
Wed Jul 14 05:52:21 EDT 2010

On Jul 13, 2010, at 9:49 PM, Bob W wrote:

>> I was once told that the athletes with the highest VO2max are
>> biathletes.  Makes sense, cross-country skiing needs a fair bit of
>> exertion and they have to get their heart rate down quickly to be
>> steady enough for the shooting.
>
> Could be - I don't really know if it's possible to compare fitness across
> disciplines. I'd like to try cross-country skiing sometime, although it does
> look like hard work.

I think that's what measurements such as VO2max are all about.  From what I've heard it's not a pleasant test to undertake but there are ways of approximating it without going through all the effort and expense of a lab test.

I've never done any skiing or snowboarding as it looks so easy to injure yourself.  I agree that cross-country skiing looks hard.

> Strangely when you watch professional squash they don't seem to be doing
> much - they make it look easy. But a couple of minutes into a game you're
> playing yourself you soon realise how tough it is.

I think that's true of any sport.  Bear in mind they have coaches, physiotherapists and dietitians looking after them.  Competing at the elite levels needs a LOT of work!  Which reminds me, I have to work on my diet plan.  I can recommend a very good book on sports nutrition if anyone's interested.

Dave