Pentax-A SMC 28mm f/2.8 F2.8

J.C. O'Connell hifisapi at
Tue Jul 13 19:09:44 EDT 2010

The so called "K series" lenses were the first batch of
lenses with the K bayonet. They are marked "SMC Pentax"
without any suffix. When the later M series lenses came
out they were labelled "smc pentax -M" and so forth
with the -A -F -FA -DA suffix.
J.C. O'Connell (mailto:hifisapi at
Join the CD PLAYER & DISC Discussions :

-----Original Message-----
From: pdml-bounces at [mailto:pdml-bounces at] On Behalf Of Eric
Sent: Tuesday, July 13, 2010 5:09 PM
To: Pentax-Discuss Mail List
Subject: Re: Pentax-A SMC 28mm f/2.8 F2.8

On Jul 13, 2010, at 3:41 PM, J.C. O'Connell wrote:

> you may want to consider the K28/3.5 version, its
> reputation is better than both m or a versions.

It was the fact that aperture can be controlled on the camera body in the A
series that attracted me. Perhaps I should be more concerned about quality
of images produce, but at this point I only have others' experience to draw
on regarding that.

I'm a bit unclear about K as a lens series versus K as a type of lens mount.
Until this thread I assumed all -- or almost all -- Pentax lenses were K
lenses. I gather now they are distinct classifications. However, as a
reference to a lens series, I think I have yet to encounter a K lens.

Eric Weir
Decatur, GA  USA
eeweir at

PDML Pentax-Discuss Mail List