Managing image files

Charles Robinson charlesr at
Tue Jul 13 17:50:50 EDT 2010

On Jul 13, 2010, at 15:39, Bob W wrote:
> Because LR can do all of this, I don't do any organisation of the files
> outside of LR. I import all the photographs into the same folder on disk,
> and use the camera-assigned name for the file. I see no point in organising
> them outside LR in parallel with LR. Other people take a different view and
> have their own organisation on disk, and various strategies are recommended
> by the authors of LR books.

I agree with all of this, Bob.

The only organization I do outside of LR (ie, before even importing them into LR) is to group into a "month" folder (2010_June, 2010_July, etc...) - this gives me a discrete collection of files which I can later back up.  Typically (but not always) I have less than 4.7 gigs of images each month, which means I can both spin off a copy of the folder to a second harddrive AND burn a copy onto a couple of different DVDs.  If I slopped everything into one huge folder I wouldn't have any handy way of grouping them for backup and the eventual move to "off-line" status.

Charles Robinson - charlesr at
Minneapolis, MN