Managing image files

P N Stenquist pnstenquist at comcast.net
Tue Jul 13 16:00:13 EDT 2010

On Jul 13, 2010, at 3:39 PM, Eric Weir wrote:

> On Jul 13, 2010, at 3:33 PM, paul stenquist wrote:
>
>> I'm not sure if Elements has file management capability. Newer
>> versions may come with Bridge, which is Adobe's across-the-board
>> file manager..
>
> I've got Bridge.
>
>> If not, organizing your files is fairly simple, since your camera
>> will number them sequentially. All you really have to do is arrange
>> them in folders with key word descriptions.
>
> My inclination would be to view the images, select those I want to
> keep, assign names when appropriate, and then file them in folders
> with names that have meaning to me, e.g., associated with the
> occasion around which the images were created. Sounds like that
> might not be advised?

Whatever works for you is good if it allows you to retrieve the file
you want. I simply download the entire camera folder onto a drive and
name it for the date and content. For example "7-14-10 farmers
market". If the folder hasn't been backed up yet, it's "b7-14-10
farmers market." I keep the RAWs in the folder and return edited
versions there as well with new names. If everything in the folder
relates to the folder name, I usually just use the camera file number
as the file name, but remove the letter prefix. In some cases, I
assign a file name to the image that includes the date. For example:
"grace71310." Either way, I'll be able to find any file by searching
for a folder or file name. Because Bridge recognizes the dates as a
sequence, it arranges the folders chronologically.

Paul