Managing image files

Larry Colen lrc at red4est.com
Mon Jul 12 14:17:56 EDT 2010

On Jul 12, 2010, at 8:40 AM, Eric Weir wrote:

> I took my "new" *ist D to a community kitchen event yesterday and got my first set of serious images, i.e., when I wasn't just fooling around to see how the thing works. Judging from the images as displayed on the camera's LCD there may be a couple good ones among them.
>
> I'd appreciate any advice folks here might have on what I gather is called "work flow." My limited experience managing film images on a computer has not generated a comfortable way of working. I have a MacBook, and I can definitely say I'm not real comfortable with iPhoto. At this point I find it very confusing. I'd like to have a way of sorting through images, naming them where appropriate, and categorizing and filing them before I turn them over to iPhoto or its ilk.

My limited experience with iPhoto has been rather bad. It may have gotten a lot better, but I thought it was rather annoying.

I used to use Bibble pro, which had two great features:
It is relatively inexpensive.
It'll run on Linux, Mac and Windows.

The upgrade from Bibble 4 to Bibble 5 took so long that in the meantime I moved to lightroom.  I was able to get great prices through a friend at adobe and bought both lightroom and photoshop. I hardly ever use photoshop, and LR3 now has most of the features from PS that I used to do use.

All in all, I like lightroom. It does pretty much all of the editing stuff I need, and it is great for managing the files. It also has the major advantage of being the software that most people seem to use, which makes it easy to find someone to ask when you can't figure out how to do something.  Unfortunately, this comes up much more than I'd like because there doesn't seem to be any good way to figure out if lightroom will do something, and if so how.  I've got several books on lightroom, and if you don't happen to know what they call a particular task, you can be SOL trying to find it in the index.  There have been several times that when I look up the word for what I want to do, lightroom uses that word to do something vaguely similar, but not what I need.

There is also a fair bit of religion involved in some of the subtleties of the workflow.  Godfrey puts on a good class on how to use LR, but that'll only help you if you're close to the bay area.

--
Larry Colen lrc at red4est.com sent from i4est