OT - Bike Recovered

John Sessoms jsessoms002 at nc.rr.com
Sat Jul 10 15:23:00 EDT 2010

From: Bruce Dayton
> so glad it ended well john.  it sucks that the thieves get away with this.

I'm glad he got his bike back, but I'm not surprised the cops didn't
follow up on obvious criminal activity.

Several years ago, I had a checkbook stolen out of the glove box of my
car when someone broke into it. I stopped all the checks immediately,
but the thief still got several forged checks accepted by local merchants.

I had a hassle sending letters and copies of the police report to the
merchants when they tried to collect on the "bad checks".

For one thing, I learned that many "reputable" merchants will accept a
check under the most ludicrous circumstances and expect you to make good
their loss.

I had one where the forger marked through my address AND my driver's
license number from the front of check, wrote in a different address a
block down the street from me and signed her own name to the check.

Plus the merchant wrote HER driver's license number on the back of the
check.

When I got the copy of the check from the Credit Union, I took it down
to the officer assigned to the case, figuring it might help with the
investigation.

The cop took one look at it and said, "Oh yeah, that's the crack house."

He then informed it still didn't give them evidence enough to arrest anyone.