OT: Happy Canada Day

John Sessoms jsessoms002 at nc.rr.com
Fri Jul 9 21:58:44 EDT 2010

From: Graydon
> On Mon, Jul 05, 2010 at 07:03:36PM -0400, John Sessoms scripsit:
>> > From: "P. J. Alling"

>> > That was Edward VIII and I don't think he was seen as a Nazi
>> > sympathizer at the time he abdicated. That came later.
>
> As I recall, what came out when the 50 year hold period on cabinet
> archives expired was that they knew there was a leak near the king,
> suspected a mistress, bugged the bedroom, and found out that the leak to
> the Nazis was the king.
>
> There was a discussion about how to deal with it that included utilizing
> the precedent of Headless Chuck; it was decided that abdication worked
> better.  And then they stuck him in some Caribbean location through
> WWII, because he didn't quite take the hint.

I believe that incident took place after he had abdicated.

He wasn't so much pro-Nazi as he was irked at the British government for
their treatment of his wife ... denying her any claim to peerage. He was
"His Royal Highness, The Duke of Windsor", while she was merely "The
Duchess of Windsor".

He was a supporter of the policies of appeasement because of his
experience in the first World War, but I don't think an actual Nazi
sympathizer. Most of the "evidence" for his being pro-Nazi comes from
Nazi propaganda. I don't know how reliable that would really be. They
thought they could use him because of his estrangement from his family &
his anger at the British government for what he perceived as their
mistreatment of his wife.