OT: trouble again --- but minor.. Epson Twain question.. I got the Epson Perfection 1640su

Godfrey DiGiorgi gdigiorgi at gmail.com
Thu Jul 8 15:46:54 EDT 2010

2010/7/8 Ann Sanfedele <annsan at nyc.rr.com>:
>> When I had all the trouble with the USB ports we were testing one swithcing
>> stuff around -- after uninstalling and reinstalling various drivers
>> including the one for the Twain... I suddenly have lost the ability to
>> switch from flatbed scanning to slide scanning...
>> I was able to toggle back and forth easily but now the opening screen I get
>> does't let me do it...
>>
>> "help" didnt help   I have a bunch of negs taken on my dear old LX'en (as
>> Caesar would say) that i need to scan...

Ann,

I have never used Epson's software other than for testing, TWAIN or
not, to drive any Epson scanner. To me, that's just junk software.

I use Vuescan, which supports the Epson Perfection 1640su and works
very well. I've used Vuescan to drive Epson 2450, V700, Minolta Scan
Dual II, Polaroid SprintScan 35E/S and Nikon Coolcan IV ED (LS-40)
scanners. I've compared it against the Epson, Minolta, Nikon, Polaroid
OEM software and a couple of third party (SilverFast, Apple's Image
Capture, and a couple others I can no longer remember). It is without
a doubt the best scanning software I've used.

Here's an information page for Vuescan with this scanner:
http://www.hamrick.com/vuescan/epson_perfection_1640su.html

You can download Vuescan for evaluation from the home page:
http://www.hamrick.com

And there's a decent Users Guide available in PDF:
http://www.hamrick.com/vuescan/vuescan.pdf

I don't work with a scanner unless Vuescan supports it nowadays.
That's my bottom line. ;-)
--
Godfrey
  godfreydigiorgi.posterous.com