Sorting photos

Larry Colen lrc at red4est.com
Wed Jul 7 19:34:12 EDT 2010

On Jul 7, 2010, at 8:32 AM, Boris Liberman wrote:

> Reply interspersed...
>
> On 7/6/2010 11:06 AM, Larry Colen wrote:
>> There is some truth to this.  If I'm shooting static scenes, in good
>> light, I don't tend to take quite so many frames. If I'm shooting a
>> static scene in challenging light, I'll bracket the hell out of it in
>> 3 dimensions (ISO, shutter speed, AND aperture), partly to make sure
>> that I get the shot, and partly in the hopes that I'll learn what
>> works with that camera in that situation.
>
> Hmmm, I should say that this does seem not entirely logical to me. I kind of have in mind an idea how I'd like it to look and set my mind and camera accordingly. I rarely do many takes in the cases you described above.
>
> What I do "bracket" is composition - vertical, horizontal, different angles of view, etc...

At least until I learn a camera, I don't know whether I'm better off with a long exposure at a low ISO, or a short exposure with a high ISO.  With my K20 it turns out that I got my best star photos at ISO 400 at 15-30 seconds.  I figured that out by bracketing ISO, shutter speed and aperture.

> Yes, when light is low (talking from first hand experience yesterday) K-7 AF becomes unbearably slow for action shooting. Well, perhaps you could see if you have proper gear for using it in manual focus mode properly. I don't have many problems (up until certain degree of darkness of course) with A 50/1.2 and KE screen on my K-7. But then when it becomes darker than my own threshold it irks heck out of me.

I've got a katzeye, which is about as good as you can get for manual focus. You just have to be able to see where the split screen is, and find a line for it to cross, which is challenging i the dark.

>> When I'm photographing people (portrait sessions and such) I just
>> plain shoot a lot,  because I just can't tell when someone's smile
>> will work well on camera.  I'd rather blow an extra $.25 worth of
>> hard drive, than miss a shot.
>
> Well, for portrait sessions you usually control the light ;-).

So I just have to worry about getting the smiles, and the focus right.  Next time I'm shooting more than one person, I'll use a lot more light, and get more DoF.

>> That's not the problem. I'm just crappy at focusing quickly on moving
>> objects in low light. I'd be happy to have software that would flag
>> the photos where nothing is in focus.
>
> Although it does sound heretic, but perhaps going Nikon will be a good idea as their AF is said to be superior to that of Pentax.

There are only about 2500 reasons that I don't already own a D700.

> It is never too late to improve one's skills... Especially given how motivated you are.

Last night I was working on being more careful about my focusing, and the results seem promising:
http://www.flickriver.com/photos/ellarsee/sets/72157624445835548/

Exposure under the red lights is still a challenge.  The best results at JJ's seem to be quite a bit under what the camera thinks is nominal exposure.  Then, if I white balance (as close as lightroom will go), the B&W conversion seems to work better too.

--
Larry Colen lrc at red4est.com sent from i4est