*ist DL?

Eric Weir eeweir at bellsouth.net
Tue Jul 6 11:36:32 EDT 2010

I wanted to acknowledge everyone who responded to the questions I had immediately after taking delivery of my*ist DS in my response below, but I wasn't able to manage it. I definitely do appreciate everyone's responses. They were very helpful.

I'm now pretty comfortable experimenting with the camera. I'm reasonably familiar with the menus and controls, though I'm a bit vague about some of the options. I've started shooting a little -- pretty randomly, often of things that are not particularly interesting, just to see how things work. It's cool getting the immediate feedback. It'll be a while before I have anything worth sharing.

But I really do appreciate ALL the help in getting me started.

These are just some of the responses I found helpful.

On Jul 2, 2010, at 3:42 PM, Adam Maas wrote:

>> On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 3:10 PM, Eric Weir <eeweir at bellsouth.net> wrote:
>>
>> [1] I don't have a data card. Have never had a need for one. All I know is I need an SD card. I gather they come in flavors. Cost is a consideration. Any recommendations?
>
> You need either an SD card or an SDHC card, the latter are more common
> now (all 4GB and up cards are SDHC). The latest firmware is required
> for SDHC compatibility so I'd recommend getting a 1-2GB SD card to
> start since you'll need that to do the firmware upgrade.

Thanks Adam. I've got a 2Gb card. Plenty big enough for me at this point.

On Jul 2, 2010, at 4:45 PM, eckinator wrote:

>> On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 3:10 PM, Eric Weir <eeweir at bellsouth.net> wrote:
>>
>> [2] When I look through the viewfinder without a lens installed, I see what look like flecks of dust here and there. Does that tell me anything about where they are? Is this something I can remedy or do I need competent technical help?
>
> Three possible places: a) on the mirror, you can see those by just
> looking into the body, b) more likely on the focusing screen, c) less
> likely in the prism (*ist-D/Ds/2) /mirror (*ist-DL/2) portion above
> the focusing screen. The dust will not show in your photos so it is a
> matter of choice.

Thanks, eck.

On Jul 2, 2010, at 3:31 PM, William Robb wrote:

> I would advise that you learn to live with it.

Thanks, William. I'm living with it. Like the floaters in my left eye, I probably won't notice it after a while.

On Jul 2, 2010, at 5:25 PM, P. J. Alling wrote:

>> On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 3:10 PM, Eric Weir <eeweir at bellsouth.net> wrote:
>>
>> [3] My only lenses at this point are manuals -- an smc pentax-m 1:1.7 50mm, an smc pentax-m macro 1:4 100mm, and an albinar 1:2.8 135mm [the latter says "auto" in the ring at the front of the lens, but there's no "A" on the aperture ring.]
>>
>> The manual says "Only DA and FA J lenses and D FA/FA/F/A lenses having an A position on the aperture ring can be used with this camera." But two pages later it also says, "When [Using aperture ring] is set to [2 Permitted] in [C Custom] menu, the shutter can be released even if the aperture ring of the D FA, FA, F, or A lens is not set to the A position or a lens without a A position is attached." That is followed by a table show the features that are available when the aperture is not set to A or lenses without A settings are installed.
>
> Welcome to the world of Pentax, where features are hidden or worse deprecated in the documentation.

Thanks, P.J. I'm glad I've got the manual. I'd be lost without it. Still, occasionally I run across a sentence I don't understand. I gather that's a result of poor translation from the Japanese?

On Jul 2, 2010, at 3:42 PM, Adam Maas wrote:

>> I am inclined for the time being, and possible for a long time, to use my camera as a manual camera. [I want to learn how to do photography.] I take from the above that I can use the manual lenses described above in this camera.
>
> Yes you can use manual lenses in stop-down mode once that custom
> function is set. You must be in M mode. The AE-Lock button will cause
> the camera to stop the lens down, take a meter reading and set the
> appropriate shutter speed based on the meter reading. The DoF preview
> will stop the lens down and give a meter reading but won't set the
> shutter speed.

On Jul 2, 2010, at 3:31 PM, William Robb wrote:

>> Any reactions to my wanting to go manual? Any suggestions for other useful, not too terribly expensive, manual lenses that I might consider, e.g., one that would be closer to being equivalent to a 50mm on a film camera?
>
> I shoot manual most of the time, if I'm not shooting manual I'm in no-mind automatic.

I don't want to be in "no-mind." I want to learn. I'm even thinking about a more radical version of shooting manual: Bypass the AE-Lock button, learn how to read the light, set the shutter speed myself.

I've been encouraged along this path by a Russian film camera I briefly owned, till I lost it, a Smena Symbol. The Symbol has no light meter and allows you to set only aperture and shutter. You can't set film speed. You have to take it into consideration in calculating shutter aperture and shutter settings. Also by this: http://www.fredparker.com/ultexp1.htm#usethrow. And before that by a little African American guy I ran into on the street in downtown Atlanta shortly after I moved here. He had two K1000s around his neck and neither had the batteries needed to run the light metter. He explained he didn't need the light meter, that he could see what the light was.

Any reaction?

> You might want to find a 28mm lens. They should be a dime a dozen and are very close to being a normal lens on the APS-C format digitals.

Yes, KEH has several, and they are cheap -- the manual focus ones that is. I'll be getting one, a longer focal length one or two, and maybe also a shorter automatic zoom.

Thanks again to EVERYONE who responded.

Sincerely,
Eric Weir
Decatur, GA  USA