Testing photography rules in Miami metrorail system

Christine Aguila caguila at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 6 11:44:59 EDT 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Brian Walters" <supera1000 at fastmail.fm>
To: "Pentax-Discuss Mail List" <pdml at pdml.net>
Sent: Tuesday, July 06, 2010 7:51 AM
Subject: Re: Testing photography rules in Miami metrorail system

> On Tue, 06 Jul 2010 06:25 -0600, "William Robb" <warobb at gmail.com>
> wrote:

>> From: "Bob W"
>> Subject: RE: Testing photography rules in Miami  metrorail system
>>
>> > I don't understand why people get so uptight about photography &
>> > filming,
>> > or
>> > why they can't grasp the simple idea of it being a legitmate thing to
>> > do.
>> >

>> Give small minds small authority and this is what happens.
>> Given the degree of spread that this phenomena has, I anticipate that it
>> will be, within the next few years, defacto illegal to use an SLR in
>> public.
>>

> Just this afternoon I wanted to take a few photos at the local railway
> station.  I had no sooner lifted the camera to my eye when the station
> attendant appeared saying "You can't take photos here".  I didn't push
> it because I was on railway property and maybe she was within her
> rights, but it's getting to the stage where people think that anyone
> carrying a 'real' camera is a terrorist or a child molester.

Interestingly, I had a CTA worker tell me at the Chicago and State subway
stop that I could take pictures but just NOT of the tracks.  No pictures of
the tracks.  At the Brown Line Rockwell stop, however, I was warned off from
taking pictures anywhere.  "You can't take pictures without a permit,"  I
was told.  Chicago and State gets heavy tourist traffic & the Rockwell stop
does not.  Aside from public transportation stops, I've never had any other
problems in busy public places, though I was warned off by a woman from
photographing her tulips in her front lawn.  Cheers, Christine