Sorting photos

Adam Maas adam at mawz.ca
Mon Jul 5 21:34:55 EDT 2010

On Mon, Jul 5, 2010 at 8:09 PM, John Francis <johnf at panix.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 05, 2010 at 04:18:03PM -0500, George Sinos wrote:
>>
>> I've often wondered how much of the lightroom catalog code may be
>> based on the PE organizer code.
>
> Not much, if my memory serves me well.
>
> Lightroom was developed by a separate company (Macromedia), and only
> got renamed to "Photoshop Lightroom" when Adobe bought Macromedia.
>
> While the Macromedia product didn't have all the features that we find
> in Lightroom today, it was a complete product before any Adobe-added
> code found its way into the code base.

Nope, Lightroom was developed by Adobe in-house. It was in fact
developed by a large portion of the ImageReady team and is the pet
project of longtime Photoshop developer Mark Hamburg who'd been
working on the idea since 2002. It had nothing to do with Macromedia.

The confusion comes from a RAW converter application whose developer
Adobe bought out in 2006 and whose customers all got free copies of
LR1 to compensate for the ending of development of the converter (paid
versions included lifetime upgrades). I don't recall offhand the name
of the software though.

-Adam