OT: Happy Canada Day

Graydon graydon at marost.ca
Mon Jul 5 19:17:42 EDT 2010

On Mon, Jul 05, 2010 at 07:03:36PM -0400, John Sessoms scripsit:
> From: "P. J. Alling"
>
> >What counted against him was that he was suspected of being a
> >Nazi/German sympathizer, all else was a convenient excuse.
>
> That was Edward VIII and I don't think he was seen as a Nazi
> sympathizer at the time he abdicated. That came later.

As I recall, what came out when the 50 year hold period on cabinet
archives expired was that they knew there was a leak near the king,
suspected a mistress, bugged the bedroom, and found out that the leak to
the Nazis was the king.

There was a discussion about how to deal with it that included utilizing
the precedent of Headless Chuck; it was decided that abdication worked
better.  And then they stuck him in some Caribbean location through
WWII, because he didn't quite take the hint.

> I think Bob's fussing about the current Prince of Wales.

There are a bunch of people singing "Wha'll be king but Charlie?" with
rather different emphasis these days, to be sure.

-- Graydon