Thoughts on Trailing Curtain Sync

John Sessoms jsessoms002 at nc.rr.com
Sat Jul 3 10:06:42 EDT 2010

From: mike wilson
> mike wilson wrote:

>> > Non-dedicated flashes fire when they are told to.  It doesn't mstter
>> > whether that is at the beginning, the end or halfway through exposure.
>> > On the face of it, some coding telling the camera to fire any connected
>> > flash at the end of exposure would be a comparatively simple task.  So
>> > simple that I must go and see if it will work already....
>
> OK.  With KX and AF280T, it's no go.  Trailing curtain seems to be a
> PTTL-only mode, as the RTF preflashes.  Some illogicality there......
> There is no trailing curtain mode on the DL2.

The non-dedicated flash fires when the main hot-shoe contact triggers.
I'm asking how the camera controls when that main hot-shoe contact
triggers. Could a camera software change make it trigger the main
hot-shoe/PC contact on the trailing curtain when the on-board flash is
set to trailing curtain? Or would it require physical changes to the
wiring inside the camera?

The K10 and the K20 allow you to set the on-board flash to
trailing-curtain. The AF-500 (which worked with the *ist-D) and the
AF-540FGZ have trailing curtain sync built into the flash.

On the K10 and the K20, with the on-board flash set to trailing curtain,
the main hot-shoe pin triggers on the front curtain. Same for the K20's
PC sync.

Is this main pin trigger on front curtain hard-wired into the camera, or
is this something that could be changed by a firm-ware update?