*ist DL?

Eric Weir eeweir at bellsouth.net
Fri Jul 2 15:10:42 EDT 2010

My camera arrived today. It looks good. Very good. I haven't been able try it out, yet, other than checking out the manual and the menu options and settings. I could use some advice/feedback:

[1] I don't have a data card. Have never had a need for one. All I know is I need an SD card. I gather they come in flavors. Cost is a consideration. Any recommendations?

[2] When I look through the viewfinder without a lens installed, I see what look like flecks of dust here and there. Does that tell me anything about where they are? Is this something I can remedy or do I need competent technical help?

[3] My only lenses at this point are manuals -- an smc pentax-m 1:1.7 50mm, an smc pentax-m macro 1:4 100mm, and an albinar 1:2.8 135mm [the latter says "auto" in the ring at the front of the lens, but there's no "A" on the aperture ring.]

The manual says "Only DA and FA J lenses and D FA/FA/F/A lenses having an A position on the aperture ring can be used with this camera." But two pages later it also says, "When [Using aperture ring] is set to [2 Permitted] in [C Custom] menu, the shutter can be released even if the aperture ring of the D FA, FA, F, or A lens is not set to the A position or a lens without a A position is attached." That is followed by a table show the features that are available when the aperture is not set to A or lenses without A settings are installed.

I am inclined for the time being, and possible for a long time, to use my camera as a manual camera. [I want to learn how to do photography.] I take from the above that I can use the manual lenses described above in this camera.

Any reactions to my wanting to go manual? Any suggestions for other useful, not too terribly expensive, manual lenses that I might consider, e.g., one that would be closer to being equivalent to a 50mm on a film camera?

I know these are hugely naive and elementary questions, but I am naive and very, very much a beginner at this point.

Thanks,
Eric Weir
Decatur, GA  USA
eeweir at bellsouth.net