Car buffs, help needed

Adam Maas adam at mawz.ca
Sat Oct 31 15:28:52 EDT 2009

On Sat, Oct 31, 2009 at 2:53 PM, Ken Waller <kwaller at peoplepc.com> wrote:

> Kenneth Waller
> http://www.tinyurl.com/272u2f
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Adam Maas" <adam at mawz.ca>
> Subject: Re: Car buffs, help needed
>

>> On Sat, Oct 31, 2009 at 1:22 AM, paul stenquist <pnstenquist at comcast.net>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Thanks Ken. Some good material.
>>> Paul

>> Not really news, Nissan and Toyota started doing this years ago. The
>> Skyline GT-R and Supra TT along with the Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 (aka
>> Dodge Stealth Turbo) all had this in the early 90's, with the Toyota
>> and Dodge both being widely available.
>
> I don't recall those engines having the flat torque curve that the Eco-boost
> engines have - something like 80 to 90 % of max torque available from around
> 2
> K rpm up to max rpm.

The torque curve is a real difference, and the one that might actually
make this idea work for a US maker. Note that Ford has done this
before on single-turbo applications as far back as the 1970's and
tried pushing the same idea in the early 80's with the Mustang SVO,
but they didn't have the flat torque curve the current engines have.

The Japanese twin-turbo's have a conventional torque curve, much like
the engines they're competing with. They also have a proven record
(Particularly the Skyline, which remains in production to this day,
although the current GT-R model doesn't usual the traditional
twin-turbo I6).

--
M. Adam Maas
http://www.mawz.ca