Car buffs, help needed

Ken Waller kwaller at peoplepc.com
Sat Oct 31 14:53:04 EDT 2009

Kenneth Waller
http://www.tinyurl.com/272u2f

----- Original Message -----
From: "Adam Maas" <adam at mawz.ca>
Subject: Re: Car buffs, help needed

> On Sat, Oct 31, 2009 at 1:22 AM, paul stenquist <pnstenquist at comcast.net>
> wrote:
>> Thanks Ken. Some good material.
>> Paul
>> On Oct 31, 2009, at 1:06 AM, Ken Waller wrote:
>>
>>> Several items come to mind :
>>>
>>> + Twin turbo engines, replacing normally aspirated engines of higher
>>> displacement, ala the Ford's Eco-boost engines - ie an Eco boost V 6
>>> replacing a normally aspirated V 8, with almost constant Torque from say
>>> 2k
>>> rpm to redline.
>>>

> Not really news, Nissan and Toyota started doing this years ago. The
> Skyline GT-R and Supra TT along with the Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 (aka
> Dodge Stealth Turbo) all had this in the early 90's, with the Toyota
> and Dodge both being widely available.

I don't recall those engines having the flat torque curve that the Eco-boost
engines have - something like 80 to 90 % of max torque available from around
2
K rpm up to max rpm.

>The big deal is Ford doing it on mainstream American cars with turbo 4's
>replacing V6's where it had
> previously been used as a replacement for V8's on high-end sports
> coupes previously.
>

>>> + Stability control , where the brakes are utilized to control vehicle
>>> dynamics in a turn ie applying the inside rear wheel brake to help in an
>>> understeer in a turn situation.
>
> Once again, not really news, late 90's entrance into common use

No production vehicles come to mind.....

>>> + Electronic throttle where there is no mechanical linkage between the
>>> accelerator pedal and the throttle body.
>
> This is now getting popular, but it's been around since the 80's.

'Being around' and in production volumes are quite different.

I worked on anti skid for under 10K pound gvw vehicles in the mid 70's but
it really didn't get into high volume mass production until the late 80's.