OT: Car buffs, help needed

John Francis johnf at panix.com
Sat Oct 31 14:22:03 EDT 2009

On Sat, Oct 31, 2009 at 11:55:13AM -0400, John Sessoms wrote:
> From: Igor Roshchin
>> Sorry, Paul, - it might not be exactly what you a looking for, but I
>> thought I'd share this thought.
>>
>> This is not the cutting-edge technology, but it is something I am
>> rather impressed from the technical point of view: the stepless
>> transmission in mid-consumer-level passenger cars (e.g. Nissan Rogue,
>> Nissan Versa).
>>
>> I heard about their existence several years ago, and I heard
>> that some companies have been simulating gear-shifting (the jerky
>> motion) on top of it, but I didn't appreciate that they appeared
>> in mid-to-low level consumer cars.
>> They came to the market so quietly that many consumers (including
>> technically-reasonable ones) don't even know about existence of such
>> technology.
>
> A competent driver doesn't produce "the jerky motion" when shifting.

That very much depends on the car.  In the cars being discussed, which
are the mid-level consumer models, there is almost always a noticeable
jerkiness when shifting non-CVT automatics.

the relevant comparison isn't between CVTs and manual transmissions -
it's between "traditional" and CVT automatic boxes.