OT: Car buffs, help needed

Igor Roshchin str at komkon.org
Sat Oct 31 14:21:47 EDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Adam Maas"
Subject: Re: OT: Car buffs, help needed

> On Sat, Oct 31, 2009 at 12:38 PM, William Robb <warobb at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "John Sessoms" Subject: Re: OT: Car
>> buffs, help needed
>>

>>> A competent driver doesn't produce "the jerky motion" when shifting.
>>>

>> A classic example of being wrong.

> Depends on how you parse the sentence. A proper shift should not be
> jerky, but on the other hand it could still have an abrupt change in
> acceleration (which is what people are not feeling with standard
> CVT's)

What I actually meant is more about the jerky sound which happens
even in case of an AT.
And on top of that, - even with AT you can
feel the gears switching (even if you are deaf), - the abrupt change
in acceleration is stil there.

You don't feel that with CVT. - That lead to a perception (at least
among US consumers) that the engine is not powerful enough.
That's why companies started simulating stepped transmision on top
of CVT's.

Igor

PS. And I agree with William Robb on what constitutes a competent
driver.