OT: Car buffs, help needed

William Robb warobb at gmail.com
Sat Oct 31 13:07:05 EDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Adam Maas"
Subject: Re: OT: Car buffs, help needed

> On Sat, Oct 31, 2009 at 12:38 PM, William Robb <warobb at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "John Sessoms" Subject: Re: OT: Car
>> buffs, help needed
>>

>>> A competent driver doesn't produce "the jerky motion" when shifting.
>>>

>> A classic example of being wrong.

> Depends on how you parse the sentence. A proper shift should not be
> jerky, but on the other hand it could still have an abrupt change in
> acceleration (which is what people are not feeling with standard
> CVT's)

A competent driver is doing a lot more than shifting gears, and with rev
holders built into pollution control systems, getting absolutely seamless
shifting with a manual box is just about impossible.
To me, competence behind the wheel has more to do with obeying traffic laws,
not texting while driving, not causing car accidents, being a defensive, or
at least neutral driver rather than being belligerant behind the wheel, and
showing a modicum of consideration for the people you are sharing the road
with than it has to do with how well you shift gears.

William Robb