Car buffs, help needed

Ken Waller kwaller at peoplepc.com
Sat Oct 31 01:06:43 EDT 2009

Several items come to mind :

+ Twin turbo engines, replacing normally aspirated engines of higher
displacement, ala the Ford's Eco-boost engines - ie an Eco boost V 6
replacing a normally aspirated V 8, with almost constant Torque from say 2k
rpm to redline.

+ Stability control , where the brakes are utilized to control vehicle
dynamics in a turn ie applying the inside rear wheel brake to help in an
understeer in a turn situation.

+ Electronic throttle where there is no mechanical linkage between the
accelerator pedal and the throttle body.

+ Electronic steering, where there is no hydraulic assist.

+ 'Active speed control' (not sure of the exact name - after a few Bombay
Sapphire gimlets), where the distance between you and the vehicle you're
following is maintained, and if you approach the vehicle in front, the
system applies the brakes.

I might be able to think of more in the morning [:+}

BTW ceramic brakes are offered on several Porsche models and they definitely
last more than 200 miles. although the $8 to 10 K price premium is way too
stiff IMO.

Kenneth Waller
http://www.tinyurl.com/272u2f