OT: Car buffs, help needed

Igor Roshchin str at komkon.org
Fri Oct 30 23:54:36 EDT 2009

Sorry, Paul, - it might not be exactly what you a looking for, but
I thought I'd share this thought.

This is not the cutting-edge technology, but it is something I am
rather impressed from the technical point of view: the stepless
transmission in mid-consumer-level passenger cars (e.g. Nissan Rogue,
Nissan Versa).

I heard about their existence several years ago, and I heard
that some companies have been simulating gear-shifting (the jerky
motion) on top of it, but I didn't appreciate that they appeared
in mid-to-low level consumer cars.
They came to the market so quietly that many consumers (including
technically-reasonable ones) don't even know about existence of such
technology.

Igor